Wednesday 4 July 2007

Thinking about meat

This evening my flatmate made a beautiful lamb and aubergine dish for our dinner. However, watching the lamb cook in its own juices, entering it into COM later and seeing the saturated fat bar jump up to over 100% has made me rethink my attitude towards eating meat, particularly in my own home. I've decided I'll put a stop to buying meat and fish but I'll still buy fresh shellfish. I figure since I eat out between 2-3 times per month and generally order a meat dish when I do, this should be sufficient for me to get my meat and fish requirements. I'm going to go as veggie as possible when cooking at home. My main protein sources will be whey protein powder, low-fat dairy, quorn and shellfish.

1 comment:

April said...

Hi JD,

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

If your concern is indeed the health impact of the saturated fat, I would also watch the dietary cholesterol (in which most shellfish is quite high): despite the egg industry propaganda, dietary cholesterol really is a heart health risk. The notion that it is benign comes from overweight people eating normal SAD diets, in whom a few eggs etc is mostly swamped by the unhealthiness of their overall diet and metabolism. Studies in slimmer people and people with low serum cholesterol show that it causes systemic inflammation, increases production of serum amyloid A, and (yes) even increases serum cholesterol.

Turkey breast and tilapia are extremely healthy meat options at home or in the restaurant, FWIW.

Love is the law, love under will.

-MR (not April ;) )